Brave-O-Matic

"Mmmmm...that's good Brave!"

Friday, April 28, 2006

FOX Sends Skip and Pete Packing

That's right, Braves fans. The faceless overlords of conglomerate media have pissed on you once again:

From AJC:

Fox Cable Networks announced it will replace the familiar Turner South broadcast team of Skip Caray, Pete Van Wieren, Don Sutton, Joe Simpson and Chip Caray. Beginning next week, the Braves games on Turner South will be called by FSN South’s broadcast team of Bob Rathbun and Jeff Torborg.


We figured this would happen next year, but if there's one lesson we should have learned by now in this age of consolidation, it's that it's never too soon for the bean counters, wherever they are, to trample local tradition. Our voices of summer -- Skip, Pete, Don, and Joe (okay, Chip too) -- are now relegated to the 70 games TBS is airing, a number that will drop to 45 next year.

This isn't the first time that Skip and Pete have had their schedules curtailed against their will -- remember Time Warner's absurd attempt to "nationalize" their MLB coverage on TBS a couple of years ago? We made our voices heard then, and forced TW to listen to its market instead of its marketers. Keep an eye on this space for a renewed call to action, and you can start by sending your opinion to FOX here.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well it doesnt affect me as I don't get Turner South although I wish I did because with just ESPN and TBS I hardly see them. I might have to move to Atlanta just to get any games. HONESTLY.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Yea, the gang will continue doing games on the Braves Radio Network. Unfortunately I can't see all five of them sticking around much longer unless Fox changes their ways.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

On second thought...No hard feelings if Chip Caray goes back to Wrigley. You guys have probaly noticed every game he throws in a Cubs reference or shout out. "Hey, you see Aramis Ramirez, today..he was superman out there at third". A first I didn't like it, but now I think its funny.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Sam Bass said...

marc, this shouldn't affect the radio broadcasts. I would love to mute the TV and turn up the radio, but the time delay fouls things up.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Rupert Murdoch....how do I love thee?? Let me count the ways, negatively

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home