Brave-O-Matic

"Mmmmm...that's good Brave!"

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Brian McCann

Another from the Kiddie Corps!

In a comment on M Norman's Brayan Pena post, I wrote, "But McCann is putting up some big numbers: .277/.337/.487 at Myrtle Beach is TOUGH to do, and now he's going .297/.364/.564 at AA Mississippi. He could be Lance Parrish, but I agree that he's pegged for 2007, meaning Estrada or Pena will be trade bait after next season."

So much for my prognostication skills, as the Braves have called up McCann and will likely put Perez back on the DL. McCann has cooled a bit from his hot start -- he's now at .265/.359/.476 -- and I'm a little concerned about starting his arbitration service clock so early. But I'm told that the clock stops once he's sent back down, and we are truly desperate at this point. I assume Pena will get most or all of the starts until Estrada is ready. Brayan isn't hitting, but he looks good behind the plate. We'll settle for a healthy catch-and-throw guy for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam Bass said...

At the beginning of the season, Baseball America rated McCann as the #44 prospect in all of baseball, regardless of position. If you take away Joe Mauer(who was #1 but is now the starting catcher for the Twins), McCann is the highest rated catcher. He's supposed to be a fine defensive catcher, and although his BAs aren't high, he's drawing walks and hitting for power. Also, he's only 21. I'll reiterate the Lance Parrish comparison and say I hope he's not trade bait.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

McCann call-up just hits me as too early, though I admit there was no one else...I definitely think the thought is to develop "another" homegrown back-up to save payroll next year. I am uncertain whether McCann or Saltalamacchia is the catcher of the future. Nice problem to have when just a few years ago we were dealing with the pre-deal with the Devil Javy Lopez

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home